Labour DLP strongly encourages the signing of this petition to the Parliament of Australia.
This petition asks the House of Representatives to request the Government of Australia to accord full diplomatic recognition to the Republic of China on Taiwan.
This has been a DLP policy since 1955
The petition closes 11:59pm on Wednesday 20 November. Click here to sign the petition.
- the Australian government does not currently maintain formal diplomatic relations with the Republic of China on Taiwan; and
- the Republic of China is a substantial trading partner of Australia; and
- Australia and the Republic of China on Taiwan maintain informal diplomatic relations with de facto embassies in both countries; and
- the Republic of China is a modern liberal democracy with a population approaching 24 million people and a beacon for democracy and the rule of law in the East Asian region; and
- the Republic of China has an important role in the defence and security of the East Asian region; and
- as a matter of principle it is right and just that the Republic of China on Taiwan be accorded full diplomatic recognition by all democracies and freedom loving nations; and
- the reality of long standing is that there is one China and one Taiwan.